Maratona Do Funchal 2019

Funchal (Madeira) Marathon 2019


Whilst flying out to Croatia for a family holiday, Clare spotted a page in the in-flight magazine showing marathons from around the world.  In the bottom corner hidden away from the prestigious New York, London and Paris runs was the Madeira Marathon.  It was advertised as a flat and fast course, definitely two of my favourite words when talking about 26.2 miles.

In the Croatian sun, relaxing by the pool we began planning our trip to Funchal.  Another international marathon, another 26.2 mile run for someone who said "never again".

8 months later we arrived in Funchal, the forecast was 17 degrees and sunny with no rain.  I was ready to run.

This would be the first marathon I would complete that Clare would see me finish.  My first, Clare was at home looking after our 1 week old baby (Clare insisted I went).  The second, Clare took part in the half marathon at the same time and for the third, I had dropped Clare and baby off at the airport to fly to Spain on my way to the start line.  I was looking forward to this finish already.

We located the race registration point fairly easily based on the amount of obvious runners lurking around.  The route had been studied online prior to our journey but I had questions.  Starting with a four loop route at the "top" of the course passing 8 turn points, then moving into a transition down to the second course which involved a 3 loop run before heading towards the finish line.  All turns/loops were the sole responsibility of the runner, if you miscounted it was either too short a run or much too far.  I asked how far the two loops were so I could easily work out the mileage before transition but the stewards did not have that information.....

Clare suggested putting 8 jelly beans in my pocket and then eating them on every loop, when I had none left it was time for transition.  This was a great idea had I had pockets.

Leaving race registration with my head spinning on the thought of doing simple mathematics whilst also gauging pace, whilst also running a marathon, I started to worry.  With my race pack in hand we headed off to source the start line at least to put my mind at ease for the morning.

When we arrived at the "location" there was no hint of a run happening, no road closure notifications, no signage, nothing.  We checked the map again, this is were it should be but nothing.

We decided to take 5, grab some carbs and review the race pack.  I must say, despite the lack of organisation that was glaring through, the pre-race pack was second to none.  A bottle of Madeira wine, a home made Madiera cake, an invitation to the Pasta Party and my race t-shirt, this was some hoard!

Race Day

I awoke bright and early knowing that if all else fails it would be a 2 mile walk to the location of the start line.  There was mention of a bus available (free to marathon runners) but no numbers had been given to us.  As we arrived at the bus terminal, there was a confused French man called Dominique who asked me which bus he should get...I must have looked as confused as he did.  The next bus to arrive, I stepped aboard and asked if he was going to Regus Hotel (near the start line), he nodded and instructed me to move along, Dominique and my cheer party boarded straight after....I was not even sure the driver understood me, I could be taking these guys anywhere.

Thankfully, we did arrive at Regus and after a very short walk we saw a group of officials putting together a start line (with an hour to go until race start!)  40 minutes later it was placed in the center of the road and the runners formed groups.

There were only 200 runners taking part in the marathon, there are more than that at my local parkrun!  This was great to mingle with a fantastic bunch of idiots all taking on the distance.  I chatted to a great couple from Glasgow, Kenny was a restaurant manager and his missus was going for breakfast as soon as we had set off, there was a guy who was part of the Norwich Running Club that knew my brother's club well, a guy who it turns out lives about 3 mile away from me in Horwich and a fine gentleman from Finland whose tshirt identified him as a 100 marathon club member.  I praised him on his awesome achievement to which he directed my eyes to the stars underneath the "100", each star represented a 100 marathons...there were 5, this would be is 501st marathon!!!

Moments later, we were off, on our way towards the first turn point.  Thankfully, Kenny had decided to pace alongside me so at least I had another back up for counting.  The sun had not yet risen however the temperature was heading towards warm.  It was great to run with Kenny, a very talkative guy and really amiable.  We chatted about training, previous marathons and plans for the future, the miles really started to tick by.  As the course was looping, my new found friends were never too far ahead or behind.  As we passed I would shout either Horwich, Norwich or FINLAND! only to be hailed back by each.  Also the leaders of the pack were never too far behind.

As we reached 14 mile, my trusty pacer started to falter, his chattiness eased and he slowed.  "I'm done" came a shout as he stopped, "see you later" he shouted.  We had turned for our last loop of the course before transition and I had lost my pace guide.

At this point the sun had been turned up to 11, the multiple water stations at each turn point were ample but supplied in cups.  Useless for running it was only a sip at each station as most of it was poured down your front.  Kenny's missus had skipped breakfast and decided to cheer us on for the whole course.  As I approached her I indicated that Kenny was down, but not out.

I was sure that I read in the in-flight magazine all those months ago that the Madeira marathon was flat and fast, this could only be a description from an Island resident.  The first loops could have been classed as a valley, with the lowest point in the middle.  Yes that meant there were some down hill bits, but there were some uphills as well, and one of them at the far end of the loop was a serious contender.  The first couple of times round it was a notable climb, the fourth time round it was as if the road had been raised a few extra feet and extended, it seemed to go on forever.  I grabbed a water at the turn, threw most of it down me and then headed for transition.  A little bored of the same scenery I was looking forward to something new.

At the transition point, runners who had completed their allocated turns were directed off to the next section, this skipped the water station that had been set up for the loops.  That was the last cup of water I saw for a good while.

The transition section was awesome, a massive downhill to a stunning city filled with cheering crowds.  Clare and baby were waiting for me just outside our hotel which was on route.  I kissed both of them joyful to see them.  I was on the last leg of the run and I would be with them soon.

The second looped section of the course was mainly all coastal, a gentle incline to the turn point and then back down towards the finish line which you would skip passed each time until it was your turn.  This was were the only water station on this loop was situated and after a good 4 mile I needed hydration.  The temperature was well into the mid twenties now and I was struggling.  I looked at my pacing and knew that I would not hit a PB today so adjusted my pace to enjoy the last 6 mile rather than push myself too much and cause injury or worse.  I wanted Clare and baby to be proud of me and see me finish in style.

As we started the next loop, I was convinced that it was only a two loop run but my watch did not
compute with this reasoning.  I could not remember how many loops I had to do, neither could the runners with me.  My weary mind was playing funny beggars with me and simple mathematics was like advanced calculus.

Approaching the finish line again, I looked at my watch, 23 mile, I still had 3 mile to go which meant another loop.  Physically knackered, mentally drained and dehydrated, as I passed Clare for the final time I dumped by race belt, sunglasses and head band off with her.  There was no advantage to me carrying these now, the additional weight was only bearing me down.

My vest was drenched with sweat and the recent spillage of water had a excruciating effect.  My poor nipples had started to bleed and the vest was clinging so tight, there was only one thing for it.  Next to me was a beefcake of a man, muscles on muscles and a Maori tattoo down his back, he was topless and proud.  I stripped off my vest and joined him in all his topless glory, it was like the Rock was being chased by the blob but I didn't care!

I turned the final corner and I knew what was waiting for me, my pace quickened to an amble rather than a shuffle and I was on my way to glory.

Approaching the finish line, Baby was waiting for me with the biggest smile you can ever imagine, I grabbed her hand and we ran the final 100 meters together.  She chatted all the way, laughing and giggling along.  She cheered as we crossed the finish line and I shed a little tear.  I grabbed her and showered her with kisses, and the first thing she said was, "Daddy, where is my medal!?".  We walked forward and the Funchal Marathon medal was placed around her neck.  "Daddy, I like my medal, you can have the water though"  I had ran 26.2 mile for a bottle of water!





Although it lacked in organisation, the Funchal Marathon is probably my favourite marathon to date simply due to the last 100m.  I will always remember that finish line for the simple fact that it was the first one I finished with my daughter, even if I didn't even get a medal!

Finish time: 4:44:01 (126th male/20th in age category)

Full race report can be seen here (although it is not in English and I haven't seen me..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBRf4k3i2g




Comments