Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon 2019

Liverpool Rock 'N' Roll Marathon 2019

Let's Rock!

I can't really remember how signing up for the Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll marathon actually came about. I know my brother and I had conversations about a family run event, and then all of a sudden, I am a participant!

Advertised as the race where Rock laid is roots, the RnR marathon really lives up to it's name.

I was corralled into the 4 hour 15 group with the goal of staying just ahead of the 4 hours 30 bunch for the whole race and with this being the largest occupancy marathon I have done, it was a tight squeeze in this bunch of fellow runners.  My brother was packed tightly into the 4 hour group and I knew, even though the 4 hours would be a push for me at current levels, I would be aiming to be hot on his tail!  As the first group crossed the start line, it seemed an age before it was my time to begin the 26.2 mile rock/pop historical journey.

I can honestly say, that within minutes of starting the marathon, I was already in the groove.  Music was pumping on every street corner, the buzz of the city and supporters is electric and the atmosphere throughout is fantastic.  This was going to be a great run

Starting on Albert Docks it is a quick couple of minutes before you are hand in hand with the Beetles (or at least a statue of the fab four) before heading off to Liverpool's famous football grounds, Anfield and Everton.  The course takes a couple of loops around the outside and through the stadium before heading back out round Stanley Park.  I must be able to see my Bro at some point, surely, giving me the push to catch up? 

Nope, I had turn left a mere minute before he was on the return journey. 

Maybe here would be another loop coming up that would give me that boost I needed.

I started chatting to a young buck called Zach who was doing his first marathon and was full of giddyness.  He was a great fellow to be running with and embodied the vibe of the event.  

The music continued on every turn, bands, dj's, boom boxes, you name it, there was rarely a quiet moment.

An early highlight in the music was as we ran through an underpass "The Eye of the Tiger" was playing and echoing with force around the tunnel.  You could not help but throw your arms in the air and shout along! I am pretty sure they just had this on repeat, as this was also mentioned by my bro at the finish line...but you cannot complain with the choice of inspirational music and acoustics of the tunnel.

Once out of the football grounds, it is a straight back towards Albert Docks before heading out through China town around the 12 mile maker.  Off then to Princes Park where a second musical highlight of the event showcased.  There was a live band rocking out "Chariot's of Fire" with absolute finesse, however, I am blaming them for slowing me down as it would be rude not to run passed them in slow motion...as did all the other fun runners around me.  As I looked around, it was quite mystifying.  All the runners suddenly moving as if time has slowed.  Seconds later we sped up and off we went.  

Reviewing the course beforehand, I knew that Sefton Park contained a few path cross sections.  Maybe this would be the point that I would catch a glimpse of my bro and catch him up.  The answer again was "Nope", "Close, but not close enough!"

Even though we a basically side by side at this point, I was outside the park and my brother already running round the paths inside.  With a wall of trees between us, my brother evaded my sight once more.

There would only be a couple more place on the route that we could potentially cross paths.  I had to keep pushing.


A little turn out of Sefton park leads the runner toward Penny Lane, as I approached the band at the top was just finishing a rendition of the Beatles hit "Penny Lane" which was a nice little touch I thought.  The singer then shouted out for any requests, to which there was a resounding shout of "Penny Lane" and the singer started again.  Apparently, the band only has one song in their repertoire, so thankfully it was on constant request.  God help them if anyone requested "Freebird!"

Unfortunately for me, Penny Lane was were a little disaster struck.  With my mind completely off running and just really enjoying the moment, I took the hair pin turn a little too sharp and I felt a great pain twang in my right knee.  Just passed the mile 18 marker, I was in pain. Thoughts of catching my bro now went out the window and I had to focus on how I continued.  To make matters worse, I heard a loud clumping of feet coming up behind me, as if hundreds of runners all tightly packed were hot on my tail...I was correct, the 4 hour 15 pace group joined me and a few minutes later left me. I needed something to spur me on as my mind and body were both telling me to stop.

I slowed my pace down and tried to give my knee a little breathing time, hopefully this was just a little twist and everything would fall back into place.

As we exited Sefton park for the second time, I found myself running with no other than Freddie Mercury, albeit his Romanian cousin.  The guy looked great and really fit in well with the whole atmosphere, he looked at me, smiled and said (with a great accent to boot), "Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!"  This moment completely took my mind off all aches and pains and I just burst out laughing. It was completely unexpected, although an obvious comment to make, and his accent just made it perfect!  I re-found my energy, thanked Freddie for the boost and off I pounded.  As I pushed on, I heard him shout "I want to break free", again, I burst out laughing.

The final stretch of the Liverpool Rock 'N' Roll Marathon is possibly the most horrendous 5 mile of my life!
As we exited the final park, Otterspool Park, the wind grabs hold and does not surrender.  The course exits on to the River Mersey where you stay for the remainder of the race.  The course is generally flat, the path is wide but the wind is relentless.  This was also the point that if I was going to see my bro, if at all, before the finish line.  I was proud of him for maintaining his lead and obviously pushing towards a new PB, but also gutted that I hadn't had the chance to run with him through this awesome marathon experience.

With the headwind pushing against me with all its might, I eased into a walk-run pace tactic that I had been reviewing for my next race (but that is for another post).  I could hear the music from the finish line and I knew I would be finishing soon.  Keeping an eye over my shoulder as I knew there were a group of runners, all herded together with a 4 hour 30 pacer pushing them on, I gritted my teeth and journeyed on.

As I turned the last corner and had the finish line in sight, the usual adrenaline takes over.  All pains from the last 26 mile dissipate, I suddenly found new strength and stamina, I was about to finish my 5th Marathon with a new official PB.

I crossed the line at 4 hours 29 minutes and 37 seconds....I told you the 4:30 pacer was hot on my heels!

My brother, who managed to stay ahead of me for the full distance, completed the marathon in 4:18:47 and also got his half marathon pb whilst at it! Go Bro!

The morning after, I received an email from Rock and Roll, telling me that there was a really early bird entry option for next years event....I think it took less than 26.2 seconds for me to sign up.  See you next year Liverpool!
















Comments